The Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia is a scholarly society for people committed to the advancement of higher and tertiary education. It promotes the development of higher education policy, practice and the study of teaching and learning. HERDSA encourages and disseminates research on teaching and learning and higher education development. It also works to build strong academic communities.
HERDSA works to
- advance educational policy and practice in the higher education and tertiary sector
- facilitate and promote the enhancement of teaching and learning
- encourage and disseminate research on higher education and tertiary teaching, learning, development, research, leadership and policy matters
- recognise and reward outstanding contributions to higher and tertiary education
- encourage collaboration and the development of professional communities in higher and tertiary education and
- assist its members in their ongoing professional development.
An Executive Committee is elected every two years and is supported by an administrative office and a number of Officers of HERDSA who serve as editors of the various HERDSA publications.
HERDSA membership is available to anybody interested in the promotion and enhancement of teaching, learning and academic practice in tertiary and higher education. It encourages interaction with higher education leaders, policy makers, teachers, researchers, managers, learning support staff, academic developers, educational researchers and students. Membership provides access to
- Higher Education Research & Development (HERD), a refereed journal published six times a year
- HERDSA News, a magazine with substantial articles and news published three times a year
- HERDSA Review of Higher Education, an online journal published annually that addresses current issues in higher education
- Discounted prices on HERDSA Guides, which provide practical ideas on a range of teaching and learning topics, and other occasional publications
- Discounted registration to the annual conference
- Regional networking activities including, seminars, workshops and branch meetings
- HERDSA Notices, a weekly email digest providing news of HERDSA activities and current happenings in higher education
Details about membership fees and an application form to join HERDSA are available from the Join HERDSA page.