Herdsa 2009

Entry Into Australia

All travellers, except New Zealand citizens, must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to  Australia .

For conference delegates, the appropriate visa is a Business (Short Stay) visa, even if some tourism activities are planned for part of the stay in Australia .

The Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456) allows the bona fide business person to make a visit to Australia of up to three months to conduct business - a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit. A single-entry or multiple-entry visa may be issued.

In many countries, you can obtain a Business (Short Stay) visa at the same time you purchase an airline ticket. Ask for a Business Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) for Australia.

Alternately, you can apply for a short-stay visa on the Internet - see the ETA website for details or you can lodge a written application at a departmental office by using form 456 Application for a business (short stay) visa. 

For more information regarding visa options see the Visas & Immigration site for Business people.

It is important that you apply for your visas well in advance of anticipated travel.


The Northern Territory is so big that it covers two very distinct climate zones.  The Territory's tropical north experiences warm and sunny weather for most of the year while Central Australia is a semi-arid environment and experiences Australia's typical four seasons: summer, autumn, winter and spring. During July Darwin experiences the "Dry" which is usually warm days and balmy nights. You will need a hat, sunscreen and bug rid, and if travelling inland you will need to bring a sweater or jacket as nights can be cool.

Banks and credit cards

Banking facilities in the Northern Territory are comprehensive.  Australia's largest banks all have branches throughout the Northern Territory, and many will exchange foreign currency.  All major international credit cards are accepted throughout the Territory, but note that not all businesses accept all cards and some may charge transaction fees.

Goods and Services Tax

In July 2000 the Australian Government introduced a Goods and Services Tax (GST). When international delgates purchase air travel within Australia or outside of Australia , the travel will be GST free. GST is payable on Conference reg istration fees whether the person attending is a resident or an international delegate.


Electrical voltage is 240/250V, AC 50Hz. The Australian three-pin power outlet is different from that in many countries, so you will need an adaptor. If your appliances are 100V, check there is an 110/240V switch. If not, you will need a voltage converter plug. Universal outlets for 240V or 100V shavers are usually found in leading hotels. Most hotels and motels provide 2 and 3 pin plugs or similar adaptors.

Medical and Emergency Services

For all emergency services, dial 000. Th is applies in every State of Australia. Medical services are not provided free to visitors.

It is strongly recommended that health insurance be organised before your arrival. Visitors requiring pharmaceuticals after normal shopping hours should check with their hotel reception or the local Yellow Pages under 'Chemists'.


Tipping is not the general custom in Australia and service charges are not added to accounts by hotels and restaurants. You may, however, tip hotel porters and food and drink waiters for example for exceptional service. At any time, tipping is your choice.

Pre and Post Tours

See Holidays NT website: http://www.holidaysnt.com/groups